‘A girl who reads’, in her Ode to physical books, has thrown down a challenge, so allow me to tell you about my secret love affair…
How do I love thee, my Kindle Fire? Let me count the ways…
2) You understand that sometimes as we age we may need to increase the font-size.
3) You let me zoom in on pictures (see reason 2)
4) When I forget who a character is halfway through, you allow me to search on his name and show all references to him.
5) When I don’t understand something you let me link straight through to Wikipedia with just two taps.
6) You have a selection of covers that enables you to co-ordinate with whatever I’m wearing.
7) You deliver the latest Ian Rankin at 1 a.m. on publication day – a full 8 hours before most bookshops open.
8) You read Jeeves to me in the night from your audiobook section.
9) Your usual beautiful padded grey/black cover is gorgeously tactile and doubles as a stand…
10) …and allows me to read complete trash in public without destroying my street-cred.
And, more than all this, you make sure that wherever I am, Darcy is no more than I click away…
“You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you…”
Oh, Darcy! Oh, Kindle!!*
*Other e-readers may be available. For that matter, so may other men, but who wants them?